Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Limoncello Recipe

Back in March, I decided to try my hand at making my own limoncello. I just finished my first batch, and it turned out great! I decided to use a mixture of 190-proof grain alcohol and 80-proof vodka as a base. It turned out strong, but not overpowering. I've already started another batch to give out at Christmas.  Here is the recipe.  I'll post tips, comments, and pictures when I have a chance.

My Limoncello Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 14 lemons
  • 1 bottle(750 ml) 190-proof grain alcohol (Everclear)
  • 1 bottle (750 ml) 80-proof mid-grade vodka (Skyy)
  • 3 cups (750 ml) filtered water
  • 4 cups pure white cane sugar
Instructions:
Step 1
  1. Scrub lemons with a brush in hot water.
  2. Remove the zest from the lemons using a zester (see Tips on Zesting).
  3. Put zest in a large glass jar.
  4. Add vodka and grain alcohol and shake.
  5. Leave in cool dark place for a minimum of 45 days.
Step 2
  1. Disolve sugar in water and boil for 5 minutes.
  2. Allow mixture to cool.
  3. While cooling, strain alcohol/zest infusion through a fine strainer to remove zest.
  4. Pour infusion and sugar water back into jar.
  5. Leave in cool dark place for a minimum of another 45 days.
Step 3
  1. Filter the mixture through coffee filters changing the filters as they get clogged (I place coffee filter in a funnel).
  2. Filter a second time.
  3. Funnel into bottles (I just keep the empty bottles from the vodka and grain alcohol and other liquor bottles, clean them, and remove the labels).
  4. Place in freezer until ready to drink.
Serve in a cordial glass.


No comments:

Post a Comment